Message from the President
This year, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) celebrated 75 years as New Mexico’s oldest and largest health insurer. BCBSNM began in 1940 with 240 members and we have now grown to more than 550,000 members throughout New Mexico who carry Blue Cross and Blue Shield cards.
It is safe to say the health care industry looks nothing like it did in 1940, but our company’s purpose has remained the same: to do everything in our power to stand with our members in sickness and in health. We also remain committed to the communities throughout our state. I am extremely proud of our company’s rich history and its contributions to the citizens and to the state of New Mexico.
BCBSNM by the Numbers – A Snapshot of our Community Impact in 2015
- Employees volunteered more than 9,000 hours in 2015 doing hands-on projects with our nonprofit partners and hundreds more hours organizing drives and raising awareness in other ways for important community causes.
- Senior leaders volunteered and served in leadership roles for more than 20 civic and community organizations, boards and committees.
- BCBSNM sponsored more than 60 community events in New Mexico.
- BCBSNM donated more than $1.2 million in community grants and sponsorships to improve the health and wellness of New Mexicans in 2015.
- The Care Van® administered more than 5,500 immunizations and health screenings.
Our community investments are intended to directly touch the lives of New Mexicans. But some of our most important accomplishments happen because of our employees, who make a difference every day for our members and the communities where we do business. Our employees understand the responsibility that comes with being the state’s health insurance leader. We are dedicated to improving the lives of all New Mexicans through our efforts and the resources available to us. I encourage you to read about our 2015 contributions and efforts in this report.
With the end of this milestone year, BCBSNM looks forward to continuing the hard work of addressing the health challenges facing our state, and we will focus on how we can all help make New Mexico a healthier place to live, work, and raise a family. I am excited about our future and the contributions we will continue to make across the state.
President, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico